What is Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) `?
Oregano, scientifically known as Origanum vulgare L, belongs to the mint family (Lamiaceae). This herb is categorized as an exported medicinal plant due to its remarkable therapeutic properties, having been utilized by the ancient civilizations of Greece and Rome.
This perennial herb has red or dark red stems, ranging from 50 to 100 cm in height, which may be densely hairy, sparsely hairy, or nearly hairless. It has surface roots, and the leaves are herbaceous, measuring 6 to 40 mm in length and 5 to 30 mm in width. Furthermore, the leaves of this plant are herbaceous, ovate to almost lanceolate, with a petiole up to 20 mm long or nearly sessile, egg-shaped or almost without a sinus, acute or obtuse at the apex, gland-dotted or non-gland-dotted.
Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) produces unisexual or bisexual flowers, with a calyx approximately 2-4 mm long, regularly divided into five segments reaching one-fifth of the calyx length.
The flower corollas are approximately one-third of the length of the two-lipped section, measuring 3 to 10 mm long, about 2.5 times taller than the calyx, and can be crimson, red, or white in color. The stamina is unequal, parallel, and protrudes slightly beyond the corollas; the stamina tubes are up to 4.5 to 5.5 mm long.
The fruit of this plant is capsule-shaped, cylindrical, with a brown color, smooth surface, and measures about 1mm in length.
Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) is rich in essential oils containing constituents such as carvacrol, thymol, eugenol, and 1-8 cineol. Furthermore, the vegetative organs of this plant encompass flavonoids, bitter substances, and mucilaginous compounds within its composition.
Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) has a global distribution, thriving in regions across southern Europe, southwest, central, and eastern Asia, the Mediterranean, Taiwan, and Iran.
Distribution in Iran
Within Iran, the plant is scattered in various provinces, including Mazandaran, Gorgan, Gilan, west northern Khorasan, northern Kurdistan, and the northern slopes of Alborz, as well as East and West Azerbaijan.
- The plant necessitates abundant sunlight for optimal growth.
- Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) does not thrive in extremely cold climates.
- Sandy soils containing calcareous compounds are well-suited for Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) cultivation.
- The plant prefers soil pH levels ranging from 4.5 to 7.8.
- While Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) exhibits some drought tolerance, regular irrigation is essential to increase yield.
- It is crucial to create a suitable cultivation bed.
- Initially, the soil should be strengthened with appropriate fertilizers during the autumn season.
- Then, the field should be plowed to a depth of 15-20 cm and incorporated with animal or chemical fertilizers. Notably, incorporation with animal manures will further enhance soil quality.
Optimal cultivation time
- The optimal period for propagating this plant is from late spring to mid-June.
- The spacing between cultivation rows ranges from 50 to 60 cm.
- The recommended distance between two plants within a planting row is between 20 and 25 cm.
- During early April, seeds are sown in rows with a spacing of 25 cm.
- The appropriate seed depth for planting is between 2 and 3 mm.
- When transplanting seedlings from the nursery to the main field, it is advisable to do so under plastic cover by the end of May or in open-air conditions at the beginning of autumn.
- In the main field, the spacing between planting rows should be 50 cm, and the distance between two plants within a planting row should be 15 to 20 cm.
- Plant division:
For propagation through plant division, healthy 2-3-year-old Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) plants are carefully uprooted from the soil at the end of spring. Each plant is then divided into two to three pieces and subsequently transplanted into designated rows for further growth.
- Planting seeds:
- The Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) seeds are cultivated in a nursery environment, either under plastic cover or in open-air conditions.
- For each square meter of cultivation area, an optimal amount of Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) seeds (1 g) with high seed vigor is required.
- Following regular irrigation and diligent weed removal, the seedlings are transplanted to the main field at the appropriate stage of growth.
Note: To produce seedlings for 1 ha-2, 10 kg of Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) seeds are required.
The harvest time varies based on the climatic conditions of the planting location.
- The first harvest is typically conducted from late June to late July.
- The second harvest is carried out between August and October.
- Harvesting is performed using one of two methods, depending on the size of the cultivation area: manual harvesting or the use of a combined harvester.
- During harvesting, the vegetative body of the plant is cut from the upper part at a height of 40 cm.
- Following the harvesting of the vegetative body, the plant undergoes a drying process and is subsequently sorted and packed.
- The average yield per hectare ranges from 2 to 3 tons.
- It is observed that approximately 5 to 6 kg of fresh plant material yields 1 kg of dry plant material after the drying process.
Medicinal and Therapeutic Properties
- Pain killer
- Period trigger
- Sneezing inducer (Sneeze-inducing)
- Diaphoretic (Sweat-inducing)
- Gastric Tonic
- Wound healer
- Heart Palpitations reliever
- Nervous Discomfort relief (Nerve calming)
- Gum Swelling relief
- Constipation relief
- Hysteria treatment
- Asthma treatment
- Cough treatment
- Bronchitis treatment
- Muscular Rheumatism treatment
- Pulmonary Tuberculosis treatment
- Menstrual regulation
- Stomach pain reliever
Methods of consumption:
- Herbal Tea:
Prepare a herbal tea by steeping leaves and flowers in boiling water (0.5 L) and consume after brewing.
To treat fracture pain, pour a few drops of this oil on the fractured area and massage.
Take a portion of the dry leaves and branches and place them in a container. Add 0.5 L medical alcohol at a temperature of 50 °C to the container. Let the mixture sit in this solution for a duration of two weeks, ensuring to shake it daily during this period. Subsequently, strain the solution to remove the plant material, and then store the resulting extract in a sealed jar. For consumption, take 15 to 20 drops of the extract and dilute them in water. This should be done three times a day.
To create the ointment, combine either 200 g of powder or 20 ml of plant essence with 2 g of ammonia and 100 ml of 96° ethanol. Allow the mixture to rest for five hours. Next, heat the solution, containing vaseline (1L) until the ethanol and ammonia have evaporated. Finally, filter the ointment.
To use the ointment, apply it through massage three times a day.
- Injection solutions
Consulting on cultivation and harvesting
Maleki Commercial, alongside a group of professional and trained experts in all stages from cultivation to harvesting and sales, is engaged in the export of medicinal plants in collaboration with farmers and investors in the field.
If you are interested in cultivating medicinal plants, investing in establishing a herbal processing factory, packaging medicinal plants, or extracting essences from medicinal plants, you can get in touch with our specialized consultants.
Our group comprises the finest experts in the field of medicinal plants and business plan advisors.
Supplier of Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) in Iran
Maleki Commercial, considering the specific needs of buyers, exports the best quality Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) in various trade terms, including EXW, FCA, CPT, CIP, DAT, DAP, FOB, FAC, CFR, and CIF.
Maleki Commercial is the largest exporter of Oregano (Origanum Vulgare)
Maleki Commercial is the largest direct exporter of Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) in Iran and Asia, providing the best quality of this plant in various trade terms, including EXW, FCA, CPT, CIP, DAT, DAP, FOB, FAC, CFR, and CIF.
For bulk purchases, you can contact our consultants.
Global Export of Oregano (Origanum Vulgare)
Maleki Commercial is a global exporter of Oregano (Origanum Vulgare), offering the highest quality and most effective plant materials at competitive prices among all exporting companies. This successful holding has achieved significant success in exporting this plant to various countries directly, without intermediaries.
If you require this premium export-grade plant, you can confidently obtain the best quality from Maleki Commerce with secure and standardized packaging.
Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) prices in Iran
Maleki Commercial exports the best quality Oregano (Origanum Vulgare) under the brand of ” Elisso Sky ” to Europe, Asia, and America, garnering high customer satisfaction.